Writing a College Application Essay
Getting into the college of your choice can be one of the top defining moments in life. The pressure to write a solid, appealing college application essay can cause great anxiety. When considering candidates, colleges and universities take the essays very seriously. Often, the institution of higher learning will provide essay guidelines for applicants to follow.
Four tips for writing a college application essay:
- One of the most important features of the content of a college application essay is the declaration of how you are different from the other prospective students. The readers want to know about you, so be honest and write about what is important in your life. If clear guidelines are not provided, a safe course is to write about an aspect of your life that may be different or set you apart from the other candidates.
- Develop the essay as you would a regular essay. Begin with an introduction that includes a thesis statement or sentence. The body of the essay should focus on the thesis topic. The conclusion should be a summation of what has been stated. The final sentences should be positive in tone and leave the reader with the idea that you are a unique individual who would be an asset to the college or university.
- Another important aspect of this essay should be the technicalities of language and grammar. The readers will be looking for how well you communicate and write. Use vivid language without being too wordy or using unnecessarily big words. Be concise, yet creative. Light humor that is in good taste can show the positive side of your personality.
- The essay should also show that you can write academically. Proofread the essay and use grammar checking software to check for errors. Show your first essay draft to a trusted teacher or other professional. A professional can point out errors that may have been overlooked and give a fresh perspective. A person who knows you well may be able to point out personal assets that you did not list.
A college application essay is an important undertaking in the college application process. Begin early writing the essay and ask for help if needed. Incorporate yourself into the essay. After all, the essay is about you and what makes you special. Proofread and ask for a professional opinion. Getting the education you want at the college or university of your choice may rest on the content of your application essay.
- Types of Plagiarism
- Plagiarism Guide
- Collaborative Group Papers
- Citing and Quoting
- Ways to Avoid Plagiarism
- Common Grammar Mistakes
- Drafting, Revising, and Editing
- Voice and Word Choice
- Passive Voice and Active Voice
- Cliches, Slang, Informal, and Formal English
Preparing to Write
- Finding Reputable Sources
- Defining a Topic and Developing a Thesis Statement
- Creating an Outline
- Scholarly Writing